Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Balloon Back Chairs

You know, sometimes you just want someone else to do all the work.  As soon as I saw my ca. 1840's balloon back chairs and pedestal table I knew I wanted them restored by an expert. Now I can restore but I specialize in painting and I wanted someone that specialized in antiques.

Just so you know, Mr. PJH and I have sort of a chair fetish. I know. Scandalous! But we have a tendency to buy too many and I have a storage building with a lot of odd and end chairs. Anyway, here are the before pictures of my chairs.




Aren't they beautiful! I just love them. Notice the chewed area on the diamond shape on the bottom of the back? Yeah, a problem but not for a professional.  

If you live in the Shreveport/Bossier City area and you have a quality antique you need to have restored go to Red River Refinishers. They are the best and are known for restoring antiques in plantations for miles around. 

Here are my chairs after they refinished them.


They had this gorgeous fabric in their remnants and I fell in love as soon as I saw it. Notice the brass wheels on the front that were missing before.  If you don't know what they are for let me explain. 

When a gentleman seated a lady the wheels made it easier to slide her chair back into place especially if she was fat uh,  pleasingly plump. :-)


People I have scrutinized all three chairs thoroughly and I can not tell which chair was the chewed one! Notice the beautiful patina or variation in color on the stain.


They use a special glaze they mix themselves to achieve that look. That's one recipe I would love to have. 



I have to admit that it was quite expensive and took five months to get them back but we were in no hurry, and the beautiful results make the price worthwhile.


I hope you enjoyed seeing my refurbished balloon back chairs. Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great week.

Hugs,

P. S. Don't forget about Transformed Tuesday link party! I usually start the party on Monday night so hop on over and link up your latest projects and check out all the inspiration.
Monday
Bouquet of Talent
Mop It Up Mondays
Masterpiece Monday

Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday

Friday
Frugal Friday

13 comments:

Unknown said...

They're so lovely!
And I agree, some jobs have to be left to professionals!
XOX

Unknown said...

Stunning! I love the balloon back design and the material you chose to finish them!

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

I love your new chairs Peggy! The fabric you chose is gorgeous and the repair job was amazing! Hugs, Penny

Jenny Lynn said...

I am visiting from Life on Lakeshore Dr....

I really like the chairs. The look great!

Jenny @ http://jennylynndesignz.blogspot.com/

Maureen Wyatt said...

That is a true restoration and those pros did a great job! I can't wait to see the set all set up in your room.

Dee said...

I love the chairs. I especially love the wheels on the front.. and the humorous explanatiion. I sure could use some wheels on the front of my chairs.

Anonymous said...

They are fantastic! I love that classic blue fabric;)

Jenny from diywithjenandb.blogspot.com

karen@somewhatquirky said...

These are gorgeous. I love this style of chair. They do a really nice job.

Anonymous said...

Waaaaay cooooool!
I'm jealous~
Catherine

Anonymous said...

Waaaaay cooooool!
I'm jealous~
Catherine

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love the chairs. The fabric is lovely and I enjoyed the story behind the wheels wery much!

Diane said...

Love your balloon back chairs, such pretty fabric. Thanks for hosting!

Unknown said...

Peggy, your chairs are beautiful! I love the fabric. So sorry I am just now visiting from last week!! Hope you are having a great weekend. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent.
xoxo
Kathy

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...